Monday, August 27, 2012

Existentialism.

Do accept my apologies in not getting any new posts for the past few months. I was terribly busy getting ready for my wedding! Now that all is said and done, I may be able to make some feeble attempts at keeping this blog thing up and running.

While I was going through all the stuff I had at my parents' house to move to my new apartment with my lovey, I came upon a little "thought book" I had been writing in. Not necessarily a diary, mind you. In it I had written a poem about existentialism. Recall the post I had written last year about that woman, the Pantsless Princess, who was mean to her poor lawn slaves---my sister and I. In response to this post, I wrote up this poem and I do believe it is time to share it.

Please enjoy.

Existentialism

Eukaryote. "You-karyote". You are a eukaryote.
A bundled mass of complex cells.
You aren't so different, you and I
Earth, trees air, plants and sky,
Stones and streams.
Held together by the laws of science only.

Just atoms and molecules--ever spinning.
Glomming.

You are no more than I. 
Each one of us passes through every stage of our evolution 
before we even accept the air of the world into our bodies.

Every stage of evolution. 
You are incredibly astounding,
Yet so very ordinary all at once.
Just a frame in evolution.
A silly stop-motion life.

Animalia, Chordata, Mammalia, 
Primates, Honinidae, Hominini, Homo--
You.
You classify easily like all the plants, animals, cells.
 
We stand face to face.
You can smell my breath.
It smells of within my lungs, of the earth,
of a system that starts with a single cry.

Molecules of the breath I expell
as we speak
now nourish your cells.

Your cells.
Shift, live, feed, die.
Separate entities--eukaryotes.

Your skin cells slough and become the dust.
Dust in the air. Dust in your eyes.
Your body defends against it with tears and slime
Never recognizing that it was once a part of itself.

You are a swirl of atoms
Just solid enough to dance through 
the infinitesimally small window of your existence.
Not unlike, when watching leaves move through the Autumn wind,
they come together in brief company 
before dispersing along their ever undecided trajectory.

You, eukaryote, will die. 
Your bones will become stone and your molecules freed
To the dust, 
To the air,
To the atoms all around.

And so shall mine.

Atoms to atoms.




No comments:

Post a Comment