Thursday, July 21, 2011

Etymology.

I suppose I have been thinking about starting up a blog for awhile. Perhaps to help me sort out the mish-mash of my life after college. After having only known school for the past 17 years of my life (Kindergarten does count!), I'm faced with a whole new set of routines. No more 3-month-long summer jobs, no more Christmas Break or Spring Break, nor homework even! I will have to learn to redefine myself, rediscover myself and understand the importance of the things I've learned throughout those years.

What I have always known about myself is that I have always been interested in several things at once. I had so many potential career dreams when I was little. Paleontologist, artist, cartoonist, author, actress, paleontologist again, orthodontist... respectively. I have so many interests to realize and address, all of which define me.

I had pondered the title of my blog for awhile before deciding on "Para Chimera".  The Chimera is a monster from Greek mythology with the body of a lion, a snake for a tail and a random goat coming out of her back (weird). But the term has come to mean any animal made up of the parts of others. One thing made of many other things.
The Latin word para means "near, beside, like" = "similar to" (my favorite dinosaur is the Parasaurolophus, by the way!).

Essentially, this blog is something made up of many parts; this isn't a blog just about the joys of raising orchids or just about home improvement. This is a blog about art, health, diet, recipes, family, relationships, practical advice regarding landscaping, wedding planning (I have my very own coming up!), science and basically anything that defines myself as a chimera.

Join me, chimeras!

No comments:

Post a Comment